Welcome to Elmtree Nursery
SPRING TERM 1
Our Topic this Term is Traditional Stories
What we are learning in school
In phonics, we will continue to learn the initial sounds in our names, sounds that are the same (alliteration) and begin to listen to sounds in words and blend them together. We will also practise writing our names.
In maths we will introduce mathematical language such as - big, bigger than, more than, fewer than to compare objects in a variety of practical experiences. We will also continue to solve mathematical problems with numbers up to 10, by counting out and comparing quantities.
This term we will be reading traditional stories (e.g. Goldilocks, The Three Little Pigs, Three Billy Goats Gruff). We will be predicting what will happen next in the story, re-telling the stories and acting them out.
This term our PE sessions will be on Mondays. Please ensure your child is dressed appropriately and if they have long hair it is tied back.
Our Wild Woods sessions will be on Wednesdays. Please make sure your child is wearing a long sleeved top, trousers and a waterproof coat. Please bring wellies in a plastic bag.
How can you help?
- Sing number songs such as 1,2,3,4,5 once I caught a fish alive, 2 little dicky birds, 5 fat sausages as often as possible.
- Please could you continue to encourage your child to use the toilet independently and also emphasise the importance of hygiene and washing hands regularly.
- Talk about what you can see/hear on the way home from school.
- Talk about sharing and give your child lots of opportunities to share i.e. playing and turn taking games.
- Practise mark making shapes, big/small circles and lines, using different materials such as chalk, paint and pencils.
- Continue to encourage your child to practise forming the letters in their names, reminding them of the initial sound and how to form the letter correctly.
- Encourage your child to talk about numerals they see in the environment. When you are out shopping etc, encourage them to count out objects in your shopping basket. Introduce mathematical vocabulary to describe different items. ‘It is more than, fewer than’.
- Provide drawing opportunities and discuss with your child what they have drawn.
- Please encourage your child to put on their coats and shoes independently.
Mrs Sanchez and the Nursery Team.